When I went to activate the Jetpack plugin by WordPress.com for this site it rudely refused! I’d never came across this issue on any of my previous WordPress set-ups.
Error : Jetpack could not contact WordPress.com: register_http_request_failed. This usually means something is incorrectly configured on your web host.
SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain
I also had an issue activating the Google Analytics plugin, when trying to assign / authenticate it to my Google account I received the Error: Invalid Token
The solution for me was to temporarily disable the cURL function on the site which then allowed me to activate the Jetpack plugin and authenticate Google Analytics plugin with my Google account. To do this please follow these steps:
1. Install and activate the Core Control plugin
2. Now under Tools click Core Control
3. Tick ‘HTTP Access Module 1.0’ and click ‘Save Model Choices’
4. At the top of the page under the Core Control title click on ‘External HTTP Access’
5. Under ‘Manage Transports’ find ‘cURL’ and click ‘Disable Transport’
6. Now activate the Jetpack plugin with your WordPress.com account as well as associating / activating your Google Analytics plugin with your Google account if required
7. Once verified that the Jetpack plugin has activated successfully you can go back in Core Control and activate the cURL transport, the same way as you deactivated it. The Jetpack and Google Analytics will continue to work once cURL is activated again, it’s just an issue during activation.
Hope this helps & take it easy!